VERNIX - What is it?
You're finally able to hold your baby in your arms after all this time, but you notice a thick, white, waxy coating from head to toe!
Before you think to wash it off, here are some facts and benefits of vernix -
- Begins forming at 20 weeks and protects the baby's skin from becoming waterlogged
- Contains 80% water, proteins, amino acids
- Provides antimicrobial and antibacterial properties
- Protects the baby in the womb, during the birthing process and it's first few weeks after birth
- It is a skin moisturiser, cleanser and antioxidant - rub it in like body butter!
- Regulates temperature after birth
- Protects from pathogens during and post birth
- Reduces trauma - the vernix acts as a lubricant, reducing friction. It also smells of mum, strengthening the first skin to skin bond and providing comfort post birth
Pic via Pinterest